A Facebook app is needed so that your site has the permission to retrieve the Facebook counts to display them next to your Facebook icon in the Ultimate Social Media Plugin.
Here are the steps to create a Facebook app:
- Go to https://developers.facebook.com
- Login with your standard Facebook account details
- If you don’t have a Facebook developer account yet (otherwise continue with step 4):
- While logged into your Facebook account (Standard), go to https://developers.facebook.com/async/registration. Alternatively, you can go to the Meta for Developers website and click Get Started.
- Agree to the Facebook Terms and Policies
- Facebook will send a confirmation code to the phone number and email address that you provide in order to confirm that you have access to them. Your number and email will be used for important developer notifications of any changes that may impact to your app.
- Select an occupation that most closely describes what you do for a living.
- Go to the Apps panel on https://developers.facebook.com/apps/ and click Create App.
- Choose an app type. Your app type determines which products and APIs are available to your app. If this is your first time creating an app and you are just exploring the app creation flow, choose the None option. Later, when you are more familiar with our products and APIs, refer to our app types document (https://developers.facebook.com/docs/development/create-an-app/app-dashboard/app-types) to determine which app type is best suited for your app, then create a new app and choose an appropriate type.
- Enter the name of your app and an email address where Facebook can send you any important developer notifications. The email address can be different from the email address associated with your Facebook account, just make sure it’s valid and that you monitor it, since all important developer notifications will be sent there.
- You can also add a Facebook Business Manager account (https://www.facebook.com/business/help/113163272211510) if you have one, then click Create App.
- Once you have completed the app creation flow your app will be loaded in the App Dashboard.
- To view your client id and secret click on the new app created and click on “Settings->Basic” in the top left.
- Update Your Domain in the field App Domains
- Copy your App ID & App Secret & paste it on the plugin’s settings page where those are asked for.
Above steps are sufficient if you want to show the counts for the page where the Facebook icon is located. If you want to show counts from a different page (e.g. your Facebook page), then your app needs to be approved by Facebook.
Here is how to request approval from Facebook:
- When you’re on the dashboard (see above), click on “Settings->Basic” in the top left.
- Add an app icon under “App Icon (1024 x 1024)”. It should be squared, between 512 x 512 or up to 1024 x 1024 pixels. You can either use your own, or just use our icon (right click => “Save as”).
- Under “Business Use”, select the radio button for “Provide services to other businesses“
- Under “Category”, choose the category which fits best, e.g. “Business & Pages”
- At the bottom of the page, click on “Add platform” and in the pop-up which appears choose “Website“, then enter your website url
- Click on “Save changes“Next is to submit your app for review.
- Click on “App review” on the left
- Select the switch to make your app public
- Click on “Start a submission“
- In the pop-up which appears, scroll down in the left bar to Section “Features” where you can select the option “Page Public Content Access“
- Click on “Add 1 Item“
- Click on “Add details” on the right hand side of where it says “Page public content Access”
- Under title “Please explain how you are using Page Public Content Access to enhance the experience of your app.” please enter:
We want to show like count of the Facebook page on our website.
- Under “What platforms does your app use Page Public Content Access on?” Click on “Web”. In the text box which appears, please enter:
We enter facebook page id, facebook app id & facebook app secret in plugin settings of Ultimate Social Media PREMIUM plugin which fetches the like count of given facebook page to show on the front-end.
- Please download this video file (right click => save as) and under “Upload screencast” please click on “Choose a file to upload…” and then upload the video file you just downloaded.
- Click on “Save“Now it’s time to submit the request.
- Click on “Submit for review“
- In the pop-up which appears, accept the terms and then click on “Submit“.
Now your app is submitted for review. Once approved, you will get notified. Until then, we suggest that you show the counts of the page where the Facebook icon is placed (i.e. not the counts from your Facebook page) because until the app is approved, it would show “0” then, which wouldn’t look good.